Remote Rescue - PXE, SSH, and a remote console?

Ryan Wilson rdwilson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:03:21 UTC 2008

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll definitely add the panic reboot boot
option. I think that will help me out alot. And I'm going to mull over that
bugzilla bug and see if I have something to add.

See more below.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Todd Denniston <
Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil> wrote:
<snip>

> Still seems a bit scary having a machine up on the net with the non
> protected rescue environment. I hope you get it fixed quickly.

Fortunately, the box isn't connected directly to the Internet, it sits
behind a NAT/firewall which provides some minimal protections. At least
enough so that someone won't be able to ssh in directly!

> Of course with your situation, it MIGHT be easier to have them express the
> hard drive to you and work on it locally. :)
>
> Now that's thinking out of the box. I'm always looking for a technical
solution (I'm a geek. There HAS to be a geeky way to fix it!). But sometimes
the non-technical solution is the shortest path. Thanks for a good
alternative. This might actually be faster...

Ryan