Fedora vs RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 17:06:10 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> Fedora is the "beta test, bleeding edge" test version.  If it works
>
> It's not a beta.

That would imply that adequate testing has been done before shipping.

> It is more of a proving ground things that may be used in
> future Red Hat releases.

And that would imply that fedora users are, in fact, the real testers.
Which has been my experience...  Is there some published list of
hardware that is tested to boot before an update is pushed out, or a set
of commands that are confirmed to work across some set of hardware types?

The real problem with this from a user's perspective is that no version
of fedora ever 'matures'.  That is, you can participate in the process,
report bugs, etc., but you never end up with a resulting improved,
stable version that is useful for any length of time because every
version is quickly discarded and replaced with new betas from upstream.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com