CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Fri Oct 31 17:20:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:50:59 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
	[...]
>> 	The current situation is that printing works on #1, where the
>> printer is -- and not from the others.
>>
>> -
> Ok, here is the deal. Configure all the printers on the server. On the
> clients do no configuration at all ,none. And you will be able to print
> to all the printers. Any configuration you do on the clients will
> undoubtedly screw things up. One exception. In the /etc/cups/client.conf
> file you can fill in the ServerName line with the address of the server.
> Leave the admin boxes alone.

	This confuses me. It reads as if the problem were using several
printers from one machine.

	Not so. I have only one printer, but I need to be able to use it
from at least four machines -- the PCs at my desk. (If I can eventually
also use it from the wireless laptops a/o from my wife's PC downstairs
(all of them on the LAN, at least when at home and booted), so much the
better.)

	Are we at cross-purposes? Or am I just imagining so?