Fedor 9 X Window System error:

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Oct 31 20:22:35 UTC 2008

On 10/30/2008 01:47 PM, vohnmaxwell at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Has anyone encountered:
>
> The program 'recorder' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
>   (Details: serial 214 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
>
> I have had this happen on a couple of other applications.
>
> I am also curious if this is preventing my Gnome applications from running?  They seem to just flash and disappear.

First, we need to know what platform and what video system you have. I suspect that you do not have all the needed fonts installed. IMHO, I would go back and install all the fonts available in your LOCALE (eg. language). You also might want to reinstall x.org at tthe same time. While I don't think it is a driver issue you might check your driver and display settings (system/administration/display).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix