Fedora vs RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:41:25 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Are you working simply to improve your computer?  I thought the machines
>> were supposed to work for us.
>>
> Some people like to explore the way machines work, and modify them,
> rather then just use them. If we didn't have people that like to
> "tinker", would we have Linux?

Tinkering or not isn't quite the point.  Of course things can always be
improved and a certain number of backwards-incompatible changes are
going to be needed to fix earlier mistakes or bad designs.  The question
is more whether the tinkering is a means towards the end of better
stability or usability or an end to itself.  If you are working to get
something usable, you want long, smooth transitions from betas with
major differences through their useful productive lives with
considerable overlap between versions so you can tinker with a new test
copy while the old one continues to deliver value in production.  If you
don't really have a use for the finished product, I guess it wouldn't
matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com