Fedora vs RedHat

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Oct 31 22:23:40 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Are you working simply to improve your computer?  I thought the machines
>>> were supposed to work for us.
>>>
>> Some people like to explore the way machines work, and modify them,
>> rather then just use them. If we didn't have people that like to
>> "tinker", would we have Linux?
>
> Tinkering or not isn't quite the point.  Of course things can always be
> improved and a certain number of backwards-incompatible changes are
> going to be needed to fix earlier mistakes or bad designs.  The question
> is more whether the tinkering is a means towards the end of better
> stability or usability or an end to itself.  If you are working to get
> something usable, you want long, smooth transitions from betas with
> major differences through their useful productive lives with
> considerable overlap between versions so you can tinker with a new test
> copy while the old one continues to deliver value in production.  If you
> don't really have a use for the finished product, I guess it wouldn't
> matter.

And here I thought tinkering was the point of Fedora. Are you under
the mistaken impression that Fedora is supposed to be a stable,
mainstream desktop distribution? I was under the impression that is
was a testbed for different ideas. Is stability listed anywhere ase
one of Fedora's goals? I would think that the fast version turnover
would indicate the opposite.

If you chose a distribution with a quick version turnover, and you
expect "long, smooth transitions", there is something wrong with
your judgment. Or are you trying to say that ALL Linux distributions
should strive for stability above all else? You keep complaining
that Fedora is not meeting your goals. Did you ever stop and think
that maybe that is because the goals of the Fedora community are not
the same as your goals? Fedora seams to be meeting a lot of people's
goals. So if these are not your goals, maybe you should look
elsewhere for a distribution that meats your goals, instead of
beating your head ageist the wall trying to change the goals of the
rest of us?

Mikkel