F9: Adobe Flash: It works, it does not work - repeating syndrome.

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 01:48:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:50:28 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:

> I have tried in vain to get Adobe's Flash to work in FF. It does not
> matter how many times I have tried installing, un-installing the adobe
> flash package - it says it was installed successfully.
>
> The problem so it appears, is flash works sometimes and sometimes it
> does not.  I think this may be because the default flash plugin is
> actually swfdec Yes, I have libflashsupport installed as well.
>
> Under FireFox, you can try to change the swf default under 'Preferences'
> - however - I am clueless as how to override swfdec and force the
> default to be Adobe's Flash - attempts to try to do so only opens up a
> File/Directory Dialog box and I am clueless as to where/what
> directory/file needs to be loaded - I thought it was something of a
> library like:
>
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>
> but that does not seem to work.
>
> Btw: I have no problems with F8 - works like a charm and it does not use
> swfdec - but then again - that was with FF v2.0.x
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

This is what worked for me. I thought I'd keep it as simple as possible
(but no simpler) so I

uninstalled mozplugger
uninstalled nspluginwrapper

These two alone didn't do anything. The thing that made it work was
install Sun's Java. In fact I had it installed, but alternatives was
pointing to openjdk or whatever it's called. Once I got firefox to use
Sun's java everything worked. It may still work if I reinstall mozplugger
and nspluginwrapper, but I didn't bother.

I know, other people were already using Sun java and still can't play
embedded flash clips in FF, so it may or it may not work for you.