Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Sep 5 23:32:14 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Hopefully, a Fedora is not going to be a new Linux user, or at least
> an above average computer users, there are probably going to be
> several cron jobs that send mail to other places. For example, if
> you are a registered Linux user, you are probably going to be
> sending an e-mail with machine stats from a cron job. Then you have
> people like me that send out a monthly calender that is generated
> and mailed by a monthly cron job. Others use an alias of root to
> send the output of cran jobs, check root kit, and other programs to
> an e-mail account on another machine. Depending on your ISP, this
> may not require you to do anything except edit the alias file. Or
> you may need to set a relay host. Anyone using Fedora had better be
> smart enough to do that, or at least ask for help with it. After
> all, if they are going to set up Thunderbird, they are going to need
> the same information.
>
> Using atd is more problematical. It depends on how the user is using
> the system. For some, using the batch command to run a job when the
> system isn't busy cam be handy. (batch uses atd.) For others being
> able to run a job at a specific future time, without having to set
> up a cron job to do it, may be handy.

You continuously explain what *you* do with your system, but have yet to
give a wider, more useful reason for enabling sendmail and atd at startup.

> Remember, we are talking Fedora users here. In most cases, this is
> not a distribution for someone moving over from Windows. If all you
> want to do is brows the web, and use e-mail, there are much better
> distribution for doing that. On the other hand, if you like to
> tinker, or test out new software, it is a good distribution for that.

I believe you're out of touch with who a majority of new Fedora users
are. Please read the following Fedora link that references testimonials
of new users. This is just a small slice of the large new user base.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/UserTestimonials/FWN

I can provide additional links if you are not satisfied. Heck, I bet you
$100 (just give me your paypal) that you couldn't find any one of those
users using a cron job or atd job that utilized sendmail.