Script Test [OT]

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Sep 7 01:07:33 UTC 2008

kwhiskerz wrote:
> The problem is that both computers return hostname = localhost, so that won't
> work. IP address is not always possible, as the network might not be up,
> especially on the laptop.
>
> How would I check the HWaddress (MAC)?
>
> As ifconfig returns a whole list of things:
>
> 1.How can I isolate just 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx in order to make a comparision?
> 2.How do I make this comparison in bash? I guess this value must be a string?

Wrong approach (that means I don't know how to do it reliably).

Try this instead, it needs to be run as root:
   #!/bin/bash
   # get the root device
   rt_dev=$(df / | sed -n '2s/ .*//p'
   # get the UUID in a shell variable
   fsid=$(dumpe2fs -h $rt_dev | sed -n '/UUID:/s/.*: *//p')
   # now you can test it against one or more systems
   # if they NFS mount their root like dickless workstations
   # you have to test something else like /tmp

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>