Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 9 15:39:09 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On the other hand, there are a large number of services running
> on modern systems whose purposes are shrouded in mystery for me,
> and I would imagine most users.
> I see from "chkconfig --list" that I have 37 services running,
> 17 of which are complete mysteries to me.
> Could I safely turn off rpcgssd? Who knows.

Well, you could look at /etc/init.d/rpcgssd and find:

contexts \
#              for the NFSv4 client.

If you are not using NFS version 4, then you do not need it running.
Each service listed by chkconfig should have a description in
corresponding file in /etc/init.d, or if they are listed as services
controlled by xinetd, they will be in /etc/xinetd.d.

Mikkel