grub.conf oddity

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 15 14:55:49 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have noticed somwething strange lately in the operation of grub in F9.
> In my grub.conf I have a timeout=5. If I I choose to boot any of the
> fedoraa kernels they come up in 5 seconds.
> However, my windows XP which has the paragraph:
> title Other
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         chainloader +1
> does not. It just sits there until I hit return. I had not noticed this
> before. Can someone explain that behavior? Was it always there and I
> missed it?

As far as I know, choosing any menu item besides the default has
alway required you to hit return. When you start navaging the menu,
it turns off the timeout. From the Grub info page:

 -- Command: timeout sec
     Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the
     default entry (normally the first entry defined).

Mikkel