Fedora as domU

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Sun Sep 21 23:30:26 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently (see [1]) created a Fedora domU on a Debian machine using
"xen-tools" and "rinse". The latter creates a minimal installation
which can basically just run "yum" to install more stuff.

I asked on #fedora (freenode) and was told that this is not a
supported method of installing Fedora. As I can see from the
documentation at www.fedoraproject.org --- it is indeed not!

So I have a question. What is a supported method of installing
Fedora as a domU or a chroot inside a non-Fedora host? As far as I
could make out the only way seems to be to boot a fully virtualised
environment like "qemu" or an HVM Xen with a Fedora Installation CD.
Is that really the case?

Regards,

Kapil.

[1] http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/blog/floss/fedora-domu-2009-09-19