Fedora as domU

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Mon Sep 22 05:35:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil <at> imsc.res.in> writes:
> > I asked on #fedora (freenode) and was told that this is not a
> > supported method of installing Fedora. As I can see from the
> > documentation at www.fedoraproject.org --- it is indeed not!
>
> You don't get commercial support with Fedora anyway, so the method
> being "unsupported" isn't really a problem. The question is whether
> it works or not, "supported" stuff has a higher chance of working,
> but if your "unsupported" method works, why not use it?

By "supported" I meant that the Fedora developers are willing to
discuss possible bugs in the process. ;-)

In any case, as you said, the point is whether the process works.

I did get a slightly buggy system by "xen-tools" and "rinse". The
command "yum grouplist" was not giving any output. Whether this was
due to "rinse" mis-behaving or because the mirrors were in the process
of being updated is something I still have to figure out.

The problem with "yum" was sorted out by:
 (a) downloading the "yum" and "yum-metadata-parser" packages
 (b) using rpm to erase the installed versions
 and
 (c) re-installing them.

I seem to now have a working system with "Core" and "Base" installed
and up-to-date. Three cheers for "rpm" and "yum" and Fedora!

I also have a project which I want to implement in Fedora. To get
some tool like "rinse" or "debootstrap" working under Fedora. That
is, unless someone tells me that something very like it is already
in the Fedora repository.

Regards,

Kapil.