[solved] Re: avahi-autoipd error during yumex update

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sun Sep 28 17:54:22 UTC 2008

Richard England wrote:
> Using yumex to update my F9 installation, this morning, and I
> encountered the following:
>
> 09:30:02 : Transaction Check Error:   file
> /etc/avahi/avahi-autoipd.action from install of
> avahi-autoipd-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package
> avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
>  file /usr/sbin/avahi-autoipd from install of
> avahi-autoipd-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package
> avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
>  file /usr/share/man/man8/avahi-autoipd.8.gz from install of
> avahi-autoipd-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package
> avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
>
> avahi-autoipd update is apparently brought in as a dependency of
> NetworkManager-0.7.0-11.svn4402.fc9.i386  update.
> When I look for the files indicated as being in conflict, I do not
> find them on my system.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?  Workarounds?  Causes?  The
>
> ~~R

Why do you see the problem 30 seconds after you send the mail....?

For some reason there were two versions of avahi installed  (it says
that in the message ...duh...)

I ran

rpm -e --noscripts avahi-0.6.17
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
rpm --rebuilddb

Then updated NetManager  using yumex and it ran.

Sorry for the fire drill but maybe this will help someone else see the
obvious symptoms in the future.

~~R