Creating a common folder for all users

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Sep 29 09:24:04 UTC 2008

Steve Repo wrote:
> I have a f9 system at home and it is used by me, wife and kids.
>
> Sometimes we want to share files docs, pictures and stuff. Here are my plans,
>
> 1. mkdir /fileshare
>
> 2. create "share" group
>
> 3. add all users this group
>
> 4. chmod -R ug+rwx /fileshare
>
> 5. chown -R root:share /fileshare
>
> 6. for each user, rm -rf /home/<user>/Public
>
> 7. for each user, ln -s /fileshare /home/<user>/Public
>
> Whatever they copy to their Public directory, it will be visible by all.
>
> Will this work? Is there a better idea?

In addition to your chmod -R ug+rwx /fileshare command, how about you
make the group permissions "stick" to newly created files and
directories inside /fileshare?

chmod g+s /fileshare

Note that all users in the share group can then create/modify/delete all
files and directories in /fileshare

Note that you are allowing the users to delete the directory /fileshare/
itself as well...

-Jeroen