Finding a Font to Support a Unicode Block (X11)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Sep 30 07:38:08 UTC 2008

Michael Rohan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Just posted this to comp.fonts, but figured I should try here also.
>
> Not sure if this is the correct group, but I have code that generated
> Unicode strings displayed via Java on X Windows.  The strings include
> characters from the Enclosed Alphanumerics Unicode block.

Font-config can do this, though its documentation, API, and command-line
interface are all rather inscrutable.  I wrote a program that can take
any character as input and give you the filename of a font with it.

Just put the two files anywhere, then:

make
./CharSearch ①

I.e. put the character you're looking for as the first and only
argument.  Only tested with en_US.UTF-8 as LANG environment variable.

Matt Flaschen