Linksys WRT54G2

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 04:40:31 UTC 2008

Rich Emberson wrote:
> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a
> Linksys WRT54G2
> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
> terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
>
> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
> already have a router and DSL internet connection.

The wireless router is self-contained. You do not need any software to
work with it. The software on the CD gives Windows (and maybe Macs)
utilities to measure wireless signal strength and stuff like that.

The router is configured by its internal web server. Others have noted
that you access that at 192.168.1.1, no userid, and a password of
"admin". That is if the subnet and password weren't changed by the
previous owner. Others suggested ways around this. I do recommend using
a wired connection to the router to configure it.

The one issue I think you will run into is that with the Linksys
software, the WRT54G2 will want to act as a router. It will perform its
own NAT. You can cable it to the existing router, but then any wireless
connections will be on a different network segment than your wired
boxes. The two solutions I see are 1. replace the existing router with
the WRT54G2, or 2. install alternate firmware that gives more
functionality, like simply providing a wireless access point on an
existing network segment.

The two most popular replacement firmwares are dd-WRT and OpenWRT. One
or both have versions intended to fit on a smaller memory router. I have
installed one or the other on a WRT54GS. I don't have any experience
with a WRT54G2. You could look at both websites and see what they say
about your model.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Robinson