Fedora home server using core 9

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 1 07:12:01 UTC 2008

Frode Petersen wrote:
<snip>
> Just curious, as I'm about to install one of them alongside F9: Is there
> any reason to choose one over the other? My impression is that they are
> pretty much equivalent choices, but that might be a superficial
> observation for all I know.

in fairness to centos, i tried it a few years back, but felt it a bit
awkward. i have been told that it has improved, but i have not tried it
again, so i can not offer comparison of it to sl [scientific linux].

my reasons for having chosen sl are many. i read many pages of sl site,
and all of what i read gave me a good feeling about sl.

2 things that impressed me most where who put it together and using it;
  fermi national accelerator laboratory
  http://www.fnal.gov/
and who else is using it;
  cern - european organization for nuclear research
  http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html
as noted on first page of sl site.

i would hate to think that either fermi or cern would use something that
they did not feel totally safe with.

i do not consider what i do to be anywhere near as critical or crucial, but
it is comforting to know that i am in 'good company' with my system and data.

as far as support, these people are 'professional'. what more can one ask for?

as for software, this install is for internet use only, and i am using;
  thunderbird version 2.0.0.16 (20080724)
  firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1)
   Gecko/2008071611 Red Hat/3.0.1-1.el5 Firefox/3.0.1
  konqueror 3.5.4-18.el5 red hat (using kde 3.5.4-16.el5 red hat)

i will be installing sl on 3 other boxes, which will be servers for main
firewall, system router, and file server. from what i have seen so far,
i have no doubt that service will be what i desire.

as for fedora, at this time i will be staying with f8. i am skipping f9
and i do hope that f10 will be with less problems than what f9 has shown.

- --
tc,hago.

.

learn linux: