Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Sep 2 13:08:13 UTC 2008

Travis Arnold wrote:
> Erm I've been using ubuntu recently but would like to use fedora, but am
> not sure how to install, is it best to use live cd, or the dvd install
> medium?

Either one should work, the DVD route is nice because all of the
packages are right there.  LiveCD can require that you install a lot of
stuff over your Internet connection.

> Also how can I have a seperate home directory? the LVM section
> in the partitioning menu scared me off, I still have the live cd
> downloaded, but not the dvd, shall I just download that instead?

You'll be faced with the same choices via LiveCD install or DVD install.
  LVM is just a way of carving up your partitions into logical volumes
(think sub-partitions, sort of).

Me personally, I don't really use LVM that much, I just create the first
partition of 100 megs mounted on /boot, a second partition of about a
gig mounted as swap, a third and partition of 8GB mounted as / and a
fourth large-ish partition mounted as /home.

This is not the One True Partitioning Scheme by any stretch.  This is
only what I like to do on my workstation.  For a server that is almost
definitely not a good partitioning scheme.

Thomas