Udev net issues

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Sep 2 16:56:45 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> In trying to swap a motherboard for the exact same type I kept having issues
> with the NIC not being started (network manager was disabled). I finally found
> 70-persistent-net.rules under udev had the mac address of the old nic as eth0
> so I moved this file out and rebooted only to see it was recreated as expected
> but had the old mac address? I finally edited the mac address and that worked.
>
> Where in the world would it have gotten the old mac from?
>
> Thanks,
> jlc

Good question, and yes, udev DOES keep track.

check in /etc/udev/rules.d for file names with *persistant* in them.
There are several, and one for -- you guessed it -- network/NIC data.

By removing the persistent file(s), udev will rebuild it with the
correct/current info.

This is how you install on one platform and put that disk into another.:
Remove the udev persistant rules in the post-install.

Good Luck!