Fedora 9 Freeze At Login

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Sep 2 21:19:19 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:12, Kyle Lanigan wrote:
> Well so I got it froze elsewhere now. However, the freeze happens
> before the login loads up only when I add to the kernel line
> "acpi=no". Otherwise, it boots up, let's me enter username and
> password at login and then freezes there.

Many of these problems appear to be hardware related. As I said on a previous
post, I had to disable acpi in the BIOS of my Asus M2N-X Plus mobo to get
anything to boot. Then to boot an install CD, more often than not had to add
acpi=off to the kernel line. I don't remember having to do that for Fedora 8,
or Fedora 9, and the installs went ok, but post install for Fedora 8, I had
to add noapic nolapic to the kernel line, and for Fedora 9 acpi=off to the
kernel line.

I still am getting problems with all the distros that are installed on this
machine locking up from time to time. The only exception seems to be Kubuntu
Dapper, which uses a 2.6.15 kernel, mind you perhaps I havn't left that
running long enough to lock up.

At present I'm booted into Kubuntu HH 8.04, and not only have appended the
kernel line with acpi=off, but also nosmp.

It's all a bit trial and error, but I'll let it run for a couple of days.
Normally it should freeze up before that, if it's going to do so.

If adding nosmp, along with acpi=off results in no freeze ups on Kubuntu HH
8.04, and also the other distros on this machine, I'll post back.

Problems, problems... always problems.

Nigel.