Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Travis Arnold vestwearingpunk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:38:46 UTC 2008

Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 01:01 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> I'm curious as to why installing from a live disc should be any better.
>> Surely it'd use the same basic routines.
>
> The install from live disc basically consists of copying the ext3
> filesystem to disk and then resizing it after the copy -- which is why
> it's so fast, and also why you can't select which packages will be
> installed.
>

>>> The default partitioner is a bad feature of Fedora,
>>> and must have caused many problems.
>> It's worked pretty well on everything that I've tried it on, I can't say
>> that I like the defaults (small boot, one / partition, one swap
>> partition), but the defaults are fine for many people, and the tool's
>> not too bad.  I've certainly seen worse, and it's easier than doing
>> maths in your head, or on paper, to work out your partition sizing with
>> fdisk (planning what sizes you want for each).  The one feature I'd
>> really like to add is for you to be able to type in the disc labels that
>> you want it to use, free-form.
>
> Seems there are a few common partitioning patterns. Maybe instead of a
> single default, Anaconda should offer a few of the more common patterns
> on a menu: "LVM with separate /home", "LVM with separate /home
> and /var", "Non-LVM/Direct partitions"
>
> OTOH, I can't see why you'd avoid LVM these days in most configurations.
> It's very stable, adds only very tiny overhead, and yet gives you a lot
> more flexibility for the future (disk migration, volume resizing, adding
> disks to existing filesystems, ...). It's saved my bacon numerous times.
>
> -Chris

Ok, then I guess I'll probably keep LVM then and possibly try to make
another partition within for /home.  I think that if anaconda had other
defaults or presets it might be helpful to those like myself who would
want something different since (like me) we read that it is good
practice to put /home on a seperate partition, but yet we don't know
necessarily know how to.

Trav