Internet speed

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 3 20:52:41 UTC 2008

Mike Burger wrote:
<snip>
> Why not just purchase a DSL router, which will store your authentication
> information, and let it handle all of the negotiation with the upstream
> host?

i can not comment about other dsl modems, only 2wire and westell.
    http://www.2wire.com/    http://www.westell.com/

westell; 'bottom of line' wstl327w provided by bellsouth.net. forget it,
it will not disable ping reply. maybe 'upper-end of line' can. is a
'telco-adsl in/1 ethernet out + usb'.  can be set up to handle online
gaming protocols.

2wire; 1st was homeportal 1100, now a 2701hg-b, w/both, ping reply can
be disabled, which i have done. 1100 is 'telco-adsl in/1 ethernet out + usb'.
2701 is 'telco-adsl in/4 port ethernet out + wireless'.

authentication, all 3 do this and is set up thru html menus, 'one time',
held in memory, with password protection, as is firewall and other configs,
including protocols.

firewall can be disabled, setup is thru html menus and is 'if i did not
originate it, it does not come thru'. so far, my firewall logs confirm this.
2wire can also be set up to handle online gaming protocols.

westell has a viewable firewall history, 2wire does not.

> As I'm running multiple hosts on my connection, I have all of my traffic

until i figure out why 1/2 max speed, [modem itself checks ok, speed drop
is only after modem] i am only running this 1 station. after i get things
speed up, i will use another port to feed system router, plus an additional
direct line to my 'playstation'. ['play' because i enjoy what i do and do
not consider it as 'work']

> passing from my network, through an IPCop firewall,

what caused you to select 'ipcop'?

- --
tc,hago.

.