Printer takes ages to print one page with FC8

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed Sep 3 21:58:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

I recently got this used HP Deskjet 895Cxi printer, connected it to PC
running FC8 and it's worked fine until yesterday. This morning it
started to behave strangely.

I am working on an 8 page document in OpenOffice. When I tried to
print it all, I got the first 3 pages fine then nothing happened
anymore. The print jobs would show up as active via lpq and also in
the CUPS web interface, but nothing whatever would happen. No errors
in the CUPS log. After about 20 minutes waiting, I removed the print
job with lprm.

Then I tried to print only the 4th page, the exact same thing
happened:

[marco at polaris ~]$ lpq
DESKJET_895C is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)               Total Size
active  marco   137     report                609280 bytes

It stayed like that for 30 minutes now, for one A4 page of black and
white text until I lprm-ed it. Some situation after restarting cups
and doing "ls -l | lpr" just to stimulate it.

Where should I look to figure out what's happening and fix it? It
doesn't look like an hardware problem. No noises, blinking leds,
nothing. The USB cable is still connected. I've noticed at least one
of the cups filters is a Perl script and remember reading about RH
Perl being really slow. Could that be the reason? How to verify it?

TIA,
	Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84