Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Sep 4 00:43:37 UTC 2008

Chris Tyler wrote:

> OTOH, I can't see why you'd avoid LVM these days in most configurations.
> It's very stable, adds only very tiny overhead, and yet gives you a lot
> more flexibility for the future (disk migration, volume resizing, adding
> disks to existing filesystems, ...). It's saved my bacon numerous times.

I don't like LVM.
I used it for a year or two, but then I had a disaster,
and the LVM partitions became inaccessible.
With today's large disks, there is rarely if ever any need to re-size.
And I don't see the point of spreading a file-system over several disks.
So for me the disadvantages of LVM outweigh the advantages.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net