Fedora home server using core 9

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Sep 4 10:54:09 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> <snip>
>> NetworkManager has major faults, IMHO, but it is infinitely better
>> than what preceded it.
>
> gui wise?

I'm not sure what you mean.
I take it the predecessor to NM (on Fedora) was the network service.

In my experience this simply did not work 50% of the time,
and the various applications supposed to help configure it,
eg system-config-network, actually made things worse.

NM works for me about 90% of the time.
When it does not work I find its behaviour unintelligible,
largely because of the complete lack of documentation.

I also find it annoying that WiFi  connection is not established
until I login.
What I would like is for it to connect during the boot phase
to the last AP I attached to, if that is available.

I also wish it would stick to WiFi,
and not get involved with ethernet connection,
which has never caused me the slightest problem.
"A program should do one thing, and do it well."

I feel about NM as Winston Churchill did about democracy,
"It is the worst possible system, except for all the others
that have been tried from time to time."

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net