Printer takes ages to print one page with FC8

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Sep 4 10:57:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 01:33:32 AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> Most printers have a Test or Demo mode that can be activated by, for
> example, holding one or more of the buttons (online or mode or
> what-have-you) down for several seconds.  This will generally print
> out a sheet (or several) with statistics about how many sheets have
> been printed, or how much ink or toner remains, or an ad describing
> the wonders of that model of printer, or ...  you get the idea.

Very good suggestion, I had completely forgotten about test modes,
thanks. With that model, it turns out that you have to press and hold
down the power button while you press a number of times the form feed
button. Pressing form feed 1, 4, 7 or 11 times (all values found
online) does print 4 different pages. The first is the demo page which
is perfect, afaict.

Second one returns install date (2005/11), total page count 5063,
other stuff, an alignment test of each color ( not 100% aligned) and
an "Error code" equal to 90020103. Google says other people have found
this error code, but there are no explanation of what it means. Third
page is other textual info on paper-path calibration data and channels
A/B offset and gain table, nothing I can recognize as "printer works"
or "printer is broken". Fourth page is two narrow columns of black
horizontal bars and grey points at the very sides of the page, some
rows or = signs in the center. Not sure what this mean, even if it
doesn't look good.

Does all this mean the printer is broken, not anything sw? Maybe, but
I'm not sure.  Meanwhile, at the prompt it still gives:

[root at polaris
~]# lpq DESKJET_895C is not ready

    Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84