Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 4 12:25:57 UTC 2008

Chris Tyler:
> OTOH, I can't see why you'd avoid LVM these days in most
> configurations.  It's very stable, adds only very tiny overhead,

Does it have repair tools yet?  Back when I first considered it,
recovering lost files, etc., from it seemed like it would be much more
difficult to do.  And there's the issue of losing everything if the
first volume in a multi-disc system goes tits up.  RAID seems more
practical (recovery, drive space increasing, transfer speed acceleration
already part of it).

That and the pain of trying to plug a second drive in from another
system to grab files off it, and them both having the same volume/group
names, really put me off it.  It suffers the same problem of volume
labelling - stupid defaults, all installations get identically
identified.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686