Recent KDE poll

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 4 12:48:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 18:23 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> "I wish that it would resemble the way Gnome's default
> Applications-Placces-System menu works.  That way I could easier
> navigate to all the other tabs besides favorites"  (I didn't
> understand this one, but maybe it means something to you.)

If the bracketed comment is yours, I'm guessing that they mean they like
how Gnome has three menus.

Applications (lists the applications, each categorised).  Places is the
next menu, with bookmarks to places on your system (e.g. home, CD/DVD,
and others), System being the menus to do with control panels for your
system preferences and overall system settings.  Abbreviated sample:

Applications        Places           System
 + Games             + Home folder    + Preferences
 + Internet          + Desktop            + Personal
     + Firefox       + downloads          + Look and feel
     + Pidgin                         + Administration
 + Office                                 + Add/remove software
                                          + Printing
                                          + Services

KDE, typically, had everything branching out from one tree, like the old
crappy Windows start menu, which meant quite a bit of fiddly drilling
down.  All the more worse by the organisation of the menu, and nearly
every application starting with the letter K.

The new KDE menu seems to be copying the new crappy Windows start menu.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.