Recent KDE poll

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:45:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 13:48:55 Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 18:23 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > "I wish that it would resemble the way Gnome's default
> > Applications-Placces-System menu works.  That way I could easier
> > navigate to all the other tabs besides favorites"  (I didn't
> > understand this one, but maybe it means something to you.)
>
> If the bracketed comment is yours,

It is.

> I'm guessing that they mean they like
> how Gnome has three menus.
>
> Applications (lists the applications, each categorised).  Places is the
> next menu, with bookmarks to places on your system (e.g. home, CD/DVD,
> and others), System being the menus to do with control panels for your
> system preferences and overall system settings.  Abbreviated sample:
>
> Applications        Places           System
>  + Games             + Home folder    + Preferences
>  + Internet          + Desktop            + Personal
>      + Firefox       + downloads          + Look and feel
>      + Pidgin                         + Administration
>  + Office                                 + Add/remove software
>                                           + Printing
>                                           + Services

I remember it well - couldn't stand it :-)  However, I still don't see what
he's driving at.  The new KDE menu is also divided, into tabs.  No menu,
browser, or any other app, will suit everybody.  Don't bother trying to tell
me what he might have meant - I'm sure it will be understood where it needs
to be.

> KDE, typically, had everything branching out from one tree, like the old
> crappy Windows start menu, which meant quite a bit of fiddly drilling
> down.  All the more worse by the organisation of the menu, and nearly
> every application starting with the letter K.
>
> The new KDE menu seems to be copying the new crappy Windows start menu.

I'm sick of hearing this.  I neither know nor care what the new Windows start
menu looks like.  I know the reasons for kickoff, even if I don't
particularly like it, and they have nothing to do with Windows.  If your
prejudices let you, you might like to read http://en.opensuse.org/Kickoff.

Meanwhile, can't we all accept that one man's meat is another man's poison,
and stop these endlessly repeated carps.

Anne