Printer takes ages to print one page with FC8

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 16:32:49 UTC 2008

M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 01:33:32 AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>
>> Most printers have a Test or Demo mode that can be activated by, for

[...]

> Very good suggestion, I had completely forgotten about test modes,
> thanks. With that model, it turns out that you have to press and hold
> down the power button while you press a number of times the form feed
> button. Pressing form feed 1, 4, 7 or 11 times (all values found
> online) does print 4 different pages. The first is the demo page which
> is perfect, afaict.

Then the printer is likely working fine, internally. You
may still have a cable problem, though not nearly so likely.

Tellya what! If the file doesn't contain "secrets", send me a copy,
and I'll try to print a few pages. I know that you want to resolve
this issue, and you need to. However, if my printing a page or
two will "get you over the hump" I can mail them to you. They'll
look the same, because printed on the same model printer and all.

> Second one returns install date (2005/11), total page count 5063,
> other stuff, an alignment test of each color ( not 100% aligned) and
> an "Error code" equal to 90020103. Google says other people have found

I also have gotten that error code. I forget exactly the cause,
but it is something meaningless. ISTR that just reseating the
print cartridges and powering off/on fixes that or something. Anyway,
my printer is working perfectly and shows that same error code.
I pulled the cartridges and reseated them, and turned power off/on
(using front button) and now that code is cleared. So, my vague
memory seems right. I think it means something like a nozzle doesn't
fire sometimes due to incorrect seating of the cartridge. I'd have
to research all over again. I just know that at one time a few
years ago I figured out it wasn't really meaningful.

> this error code, but there are no explanation of what it means. Third
> page is other textual info on paper-path calibration data and channels
> A/B offset and gain table, nothing I can recognize as "printer works"
> or "printer is broken". Fourth page is two narrow columns of black

If it comes out, then "printer works". This is a skew test.

 From my own investigation years ago, I tried up to 32 presses, and got
these results:

Test pages printed by the HP DeskJet 895C series printers

Press and hold Power, and press and release Resume some number of times,
then release Power.

Number	Results
------	-------
  1	Print self-test page "world-class professional print quality".

  2-3	*

  4	Self-test page with printer series, serial number, service ID,
	FW rev, page count, PCL default symbol set, mfg 0-2, errror
	code, and a test of each jet nozzle.

  5	Power and Resume lights flash in unison 10 times, then Power,
	Resume, and Cartridge lamps flash in unison 3 times, then Power
	and Resume lights flash in unison 1 time, then Power, Resume,
	and Cartridge lights flash in unison 1 time, then Power and
	Resume flash in unison 1 time.

  6	Power and Resume lights flash in unison 16 times.

  7	Print alignment sheet.

  8	Print "H" sheets forever.

  9-10	*

11	Print FW rev, paper-path calibraton data and channels A and B
	offset and gain tables.

12	Print hex dump of the EEPROM contents.

13-19	*

20	Run a short cleaning cycle.
21	Run a medium cleaning cycle.
22	Run a long cleaning cycle.
23-32	*
33+	Not tried.

> horizontal bars and grey points at the very sides of the page, some
> rows or = signs in the center. Not sure what this mean, even if it
> doesn't look good.
>
> Does all this mean the printer is broken, not anything sw? Maybe, but
> I'm not sure.  Meanwhile, at the prompt it still gives:

So far, it looks like the printer is not faulty.

> [root at polaris
> ~]# lpq DESKJET_895C is not ready

You need to restart the queues.

Mike