IPSEC Roadwarrior-configuration

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Thu Sep 4 18:23:51 UTC 2008

Am Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:18:12 -0500
schrieb Dan Koehler <darthbulk at warp-7.com>:

> At 12:37 PM 9/4/2008, you wrote:
>
> >Bonsoir,
> >
> >i try to set up my laptop as a roadwarrior for ipsec. i found some
> >documentation online about host2host or network2network-connections,
> >but all this seems to need fixed ip's.
> >
> >does somebody know about config for ipsec with dynamic ips?
> >
> >thanks for any help/doc/hints/...
> >
> >Roger
> >
> >btw. i already use openvpn, so this is no alternative (even if it is
> >already a good choice, but i wanna give ipsec a try, as i did not
> >find out, how to start openvpn with network-manager while startup.)
>
> Are you looking to set up the server end of the IPSEC connection as
> well, or just the laptop?  Which IPSEC implementation are you
> using?  I have been researching this using Openswan on the server,
> and Microsoft's L2TP client on the laptop (if the laptop runs
> Windows).  The book "Building And Integrating Virtual Private
> Networks With Openswan" by Wouters and Bantoft helps with setting up
> the server end of things, but seems to be lacking in how to set up
> the roadwarrior part of the connection (if using Windows).  If you
> are using Linux on the Laptop as well, then this book will help
> you.  There are keywords you can use in your setup file that take
> care of the dynamic IP addressing.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information, i gonna have a look. I try to install
server and clientside, both are linuxish :D

i use the package ipsec-tools from the fedora-repositories, they
deliver already a nice bunch, but unfortunately not a roadwarrior
setting. i first thought about host2host, but the idea of having static
ip on my laptop (which i cannot have connected directly to internet)
did not please at all.

i gonna have a look for that book, thx a lot.

Roger