Decent scanning app

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 01:06:49 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Mark Haney wrote:
>> I'm at my wits end here.  I've googled and looked and tried and can't
>> find a decent scanning application anywhere.  Back in the F8 days I ran
>> kooka and it was awesome.  Problem is, it's not actively maintained and
>> isn't in KDE4.  They do have a new scan app called skanlite, but I"ve
>> not found it in Fedora 9 repos (although it's possibly in a larger
>> package like Kooka was).
>>
>> So, what decent scanning apps are out there?  I tried Gnomescan.  It
>> sucked. There's no way to add a scanner device to it that I could see. I
>> was going to go with Xsane, but wasn't sure about it.
>>
>> If I have to, I'll rebuild kooka for F9, but surely there's a scanning
>> app in linux that is active and doesn't suck, right?
>
>After fighting with xsane for months on several machines, I got iscan,
>which is bog simple but works. YMMV.

And I have an older Epson 1250u scanner.  Iscan can't find it, never could.
xsane has Just Worked(TM) for many years now.  xsane also has all the tweaks
you could want, and about 10 times that many I haven't figured out yet.

In all the above I fail to see the make & model of the scanner listed.  That
is Very Important.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)