Can't switch to KDE

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 14:39:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 18:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 15:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > >
> > > It does work and has been mentioned here several times in the past. Note
> > > that F9 doesn't seem to include the file by default so you have to
> > > create it, and of course know what to put in it. For KDE:
> > >
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > > DESKTOP="KDE"
> > > DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
> > >
> > > poc
> > >
> > That does not work on my machine.
>
> What does "not work" mean? What exactly happens? Have you restarted X
> after makimg the above changes? It's not enough just to log out and in
> again since you want to change the display manager (not just the window
> manager). "init 3 && init 5" from a console should do the trick.
Not work means when I login I get GNOME not KDE.

> > What do you think of .Xclient-default?
>
> You mean .Xclients-default? It just seems to execute startkde on my
> system. That won't change the display manager either.
Actually running startkde does change the display manager. Which is how
switchsession is supposed to work. You just want to change the display
manager for thew one user not the whole machine. This is
why /etc/sysconfig/desktop is not a candidate for the job.

> Silly question: you *have* installed KDE Desktop, right?

KDE is installed.
Moebius always does it on the same side.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net