Can't switch to KDE

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 20:52:17 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 15:07 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> This is
>>> why /etc/sysconfig/desktop is not a candidate for the job.
>> So how come it works for me and apparently many other people?
> ----
> I'm under the impression that settings in /etc/sysconfig/desktop...
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER=
>
> has the effect of choosing which dm launches at next startup/launch of
> runlevel 5
>
> DESKTOP=
>
> has the effect of choosing which desktop manager is the default for
> users who haven't logged in previously.
>
> I could be wrong and I've done no intelligent research on this but this
> is what I think I have come to understand happens.
>
> Craig

It appears that it gets checked a few times during boot, by

/etc/X11/prefdm
	kills RHGB if it's running, and
	sets the preferred display manager (gdm,kdm,xdm)
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xinput
	sets the preferred session manager (gnome,kde)
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
	this seems actually to execute the chosen
	session manager (gnome-session,startkde,wmaker)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.