Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Sep 6 00:10:29 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> If you don't use email, why are you using computers again?  And if you
> do, you've provided exactly this information to one or several email
> client programs.  Doing it once for sendmail lets any number of users
> run any number of email clients that just hand off to sendmail for
> delivery.
Please provide an example that shows a majority of Fedora users use
sendmail for their primary mail delivery system where it is not blocked
by their ISP and they required no text file configuration to get it working.

> You may not understand the value until your machine dies and you are
> curious about the warnings that preceded it (like smartctl screaming
> that your disk is not healthy) so you might avoid the problem next
> time.  If they've automatically been delivered to some other machine
> they will still be available when you decide they are important.

Since users don't read root mail or setup alternate transport methods,
how would they read their SMART messages? Sure, *you* would setup an
alternate mailbox on another server, open the iptables hole, allow
sendmail to receive on all interfaces, etc. etc. but the issue is still
the majority of users.

> Huh? I think you mean 'you' didn't install any of them - or you don't
> know that you did.

Again, you're off base and it's becoming an attack against me. Please
read my e-mails. This entire thread is about the *default* fedora
install. Clicking Next through all the install prompts.

> An idle process hardly makes you suffer...

Yes this is all trivial in severity - this was covered in the OP.

> I don't think it is elitist to expect users to use the services of a
> unix like operating system.  Why else would they install it?

Default install, etc. etc. Not even going to answer this. I'm not trying
to get sendmail/atd deleted from the repository or removed from the
package list.