Regarding Fedora core 7

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Sep 6 21:10:51 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 September 2008 21:01, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 September 2008 18:44, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> Did FC7 still have the VGA driver? That would limit you to 640 x 480
> >> - but it would only be 256 colors.
> >>
> >> You can also try specifying a generic display that only does 640 x 480.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >
> > I've just booted my FC7 to check for the VGA driver. Alright I've booted
> > with the planetccrma 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc7.ccrmart kernel, but the the VGA
> > driver is there as vga15fb.ko.
> >
> > Just had a quick look at the latest FC7 kernel that I had before support
> > was dropped, 2.6.23.8-34.fc7, and that too shows the vga16fb.ko driver.
>
> I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been - I meant the X
> driver, not the kernel driver.
>
> Mikkel

Apologies, as that's just as much my fault in misreading what you were
suggesting.

As I had FC7 booted up, I ran apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.
Although no longer supported, there were 13 upgrades, and 1 new package
available, which I'm currently downloading. Last time I updated FC7 was
20080609 (06 is June).

Well the updates have just finished downloading, and are installed, so I'm
having a look in synaptic for the X drivers. Most have been installed as
default, apart from a few, including the vga one, which is:
xorg-x11-drv-vga       latest version 4.1.0-3.fc7

The OP should be able to install this vga driver, as the servers for the
updates still are up and running, so the core packages should still be
available.

Nigel.