Secrecy and user trust

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Sep 6 20:44:00 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>>>
>>> That is an extremely unlikely possibility as you have to generate a key
>>> with the same key id (fingerprint)as the original.  Also, you have to
>>> determine how to trick all users in to replacing the original.
>> All users? This is like spam email, you only need to succeed in a few
>> cases to get benefit. And distributing the fingerprint assumes you can
>> do that securely as well.
>>
> I think you have no concept of public/private encryption or signing.

My concept is that if I can fool you into accepting a false public key,
I can sign packages with the matching false private key, and when you
install the first such package it may (probably will) include evil
things of some nature.

Do you disagree? Or feel that if I can get you to run one evil package I
can't put in a root kit, or rend personal information from your systems,
or otherwise attack your system?

If you feel that line of attack is not possible do tell me how your
concept of encryption and signing prevents it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>