How to get a patched kernel into anaconda?

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 14:04:28 UTC 2008

* Erik P. Olsen <epodata at gmail.com> [20080907 15:10]:
> This is all new land for me, so bear with me if the answer is trivial.
>
> I have patched kernel 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 (actually sata_mv.c) to support my sta
> disk controller. It works correctly, I can attach my disks make directories and
> store data on them and even retrieve the data. So from that perspective
> everything is fine.
>
> The next thing I want to do is to boot from the disks and create my system on
> them. That means as far as I can see that anaconda must use the patched kernel.
> Is there a way to load this kernel during start of anaconda or can I create a
> new install dvd with the kernel added?
>
> Can someone help me with this?

This sounds like you are in the territory of
http://driverupdateprogram.com and using driver update disks. With
that, you could build your patched driver out-of-tree, and supply that
on a driver disk (boot the installer with "linux dd") to use during
installation.

Benefit of doing it this way is that you don't have to recompile the
whole kernel. The problem I can see is that when you after
installation update your system, the new kernel that will get pulled
in may not provide the driver functionality that you need to drive the
disks, so you may end up requiring to build kmod packages for every
new kernel until the driver patch is accepted upstream and/or makes it
in to the Fedora kernel.

/Anders