Character encoding

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Sep 7 14:15:10 UTC 2008

Adil Drissi wrote:
> Thank you for your answer. I want to use this in my personal computer.
> Can you give me the name of the variable please? Say I will set that
> variable to UTF-8 in /etc/profile, do you think that vim will always save
> my files in utf-8 format?

There's a whole set of environment variables that control the locale. The
command "locale" displays them all, but normally you'd just set LANG. You
should probably define LANG for the whole system in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

I don't know Vim but I'd guess that it uses the locale encoding as a default.

Björn Persson