Fedora on old hardware?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Sep 8 02:49:36 UTC 2008

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> I have an old laptop (AMD K6 400MHz) that refuses to install Fedora 8.

I had no trouble installing Fedora 7 on a K6-2 500 that I have here.

> I've tried Live KDE CD - that failed to boot because it's for i686 only.
> At least it says the CPU is incompatible...

Yes, the K6 is a 586 compatible CPU, not a 686....

> I've also tried the i386 DVD - it fails around the beginning of the
> install process with a generic message that something went wrong - and
> doesn't install.

I didn't have this problem with F7.  It installed for me.

> Is this something that happens a lot?

I don't know, that system isn't running right now, I'd have to put it
back together and try with something later....

> Knoppix 5.11 live CD booted up just fine (although really slow :)
> Going to try latest Ubuntu now...

Just to let you know, your system will make a piss poor graphical system
(too slow) with the current environments.  You'd really have to dig
around to find a light-weight one that works.  Its probably OK for
command line stuff though.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com