External WUXGA Samsung monitor is forcing my laptop to VGA resolution.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Sep 8 15:29:22 UTC 2008

   To make a long story short, I have an aging Dell Inspiron 9200 with
a full WUXGA (1920x1200) display happily running F7.  I hooked it via
VGA to a WUXGA Samsung (1920x1200) monitor, hoping to see exactly the
same content.  Instead, hooking up to the monitor forced the laptop
back to 640x480 mode.

   If I disconnect the monitor, everything is fine and I get full
WUXGA on the laptop.  Connect it up again, and lo-res VGA on both
laptop and monitor.  Argh.

   I'm throwing F9 on the laptop just for fun to see if it has better
display configuration, but is there a way around this?  How does
connecting the monitor somehow force the laptop into 640x480 mode?
Thanks.

rday