Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 23:03:36 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:36 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> Why would people with desktops
>>> (I take it you are using the term by contrast with laptops)
>>> be any less likely to send (or receive) email?
>> I think you are misreading the OP's meaning. You can send mail without
>> using sendmail.
>
> Obviously.
> But what has that got to do with desktops or laptops?

I think he meant to contrast desktops to servers.  With servers there is
a more obvious reason to set up sendmail for multiuser/multi-MUA use.
On desktops some people might prefer to configure their MUA(s) to speak
SMTP directly with an ISP or 3rd party relay, but the preference is more
likely due to the nicer fill-in-the-form configuration interface instead
of the overall functionality.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com