video equipment still forcing my laptop to a lower res, argh

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Sep 9 11:29:46 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Quoting Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>:
>
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> The first place I would look is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and determine if
>>> there is a difference between when X starts with the unit connected and
>>> when not connected.  The log file is generated upon X starting.
>>>
>> I should have added that this is probably hardware related.  Chances are
>> the video chipset detects that it is attached to an external device and
>> the external hardware is limited to the lower resolution and thus
>> reports this at X startup.
>
>   i'd thought of that, but i was *assured* by people who should know that
> the external hardware is not reporting anything back to the laptop.  and
> forgive my video-related ignorance, but what is *normally* reported back?
> in what format?  and is there a way to tap that info in real time (a la
> tcpdump)?  or is just checking the X log file the way to go?  thanks.

It may not be reporting anything at all.  The chipset simply detects
electrical connections on the external jack and does its thing.  I think
you will see a difference in the log file that indicates the higher
resolutions are not supported...I forget the exact wordings

--
You worry too much about your job. Stop it. You are not paid enough to
worry.