Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:20:17 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm sure you are right.
> On the other hand, there are a large number of services running
> on modern systems whose purposes are shrouded in mystery for me,
> and I would imagine most users.
> I see from "chkconfig --list" that I have 37 services running,
> 17 of which are complete mysteries to me.
> Could I safely turn off rpcgssd? Who knows.

There's very little black magic inside a unix-like OS.  Services usually
map one program to one very specific job and if you don't need that job
done you can stop it.  However as things become more plug-n-play with
autodetection of devices, etc. you may find you need more things running
just in case.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com