Using shared printer in Fedora 9

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 20:30:03 UTC 2008

We have here an ancient Windows machine sharing the main company
printer, an HPLJ/1100. My shiny new Fedora 9 workstation can't see
this printer to save its digital life.

Beside my workstation is a CentOS 5.1 installation. On this machine, I
run system-config-printer and have no trouble at all setting up the
same printer and printing a test page. I just enter the SMB path to
the printer, enter the share's username and password, and I'm done.
Not so with my Fedora 9 machine. No error messages, nothing in any log
files that I can find. Nothing.

Does anybody have advice about where I could look to figure out what's wrong?