blue screen of death after logout

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Sep 10 12:30:58 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have an HP DC7700 with an ADD2/DVI card driving a 1600x1200 NEC
Multisync monitor, using the stock Fedora 9 intel driver.

Sometimes, after logging out of a Fedora 9 gnome session, the screen
goes all blue. Bringing up a text session (Ctrl+F1) works OK, but X will
not run properly after hitting Ctrl+F7 or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. Restarting
the computer is the only solution for clearing the blue screen in X.

I haven't found any useful log messages. It is an erratic problem.

Has anyone else seen this? It's really annoying!

Swapping ADD2 cards made no difference. Swapping monitors made no
difference. Swapping the computer made no difference. i386 vs x86_64
made no difference.

Installing xorg* from rawhide didn't work at all, too raw I guess...

- Mike