Fedora 9 i386 CD images

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 8 22:02:58 UTC 2008

Bing wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am new to this and seeking advice.
>
> I downloaded the 6 CD images ok and run the checksum and they all were ok.
>
> I burned the images to CD and only CD 1 and 6 show no errors on the
> media check.
>
> I re-burnt CD 2 to see if it was a glitch but the new disk also came up
> with errors.
>
> The machines I have do not have DVD drives only CD
>

> Before I try again and spend a fortune on CDs wanted to know if anybody
> has successfully downloaded, burnt and installed from these images.

This may be caused by the burning program either using too much padding
during the burn, or not using any. As I recall the simple check in the
install has a problem due to this, and get an error reading the last
block. Sorry I can't recall the details, my burning and verifying
methods both take steps to prevent this and I never verify media.

So three hints:
1 - if your burning program has an option to pad the data to a multiple
of some size, try that.

2 - most Windows programs need to be told to burn an image, by default
they tend to create a CD with a single file (the image you wanted) on
it. By any chance did you forget to do that?

3 - if you are paying more than 15-20 cents for a blank CD you need a
new supplier. It's pretty hard to spend a fortune on CDs at that rate. ;-)

Hope some of this is useful, if not I would just go ahead with the
install and don't verify the CDs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>