KDE4.1- Plasma crashing

linuxguy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:09:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 09:29 -0700, Craig White wrote:
<snip>

> > Any ideas ?
> >
> > How does one wipe all the previous desktop settings out ?
> ----
> before you do that - try this...
>
> as user in konsole...
>
> kquitapp plasma && plasma &

That didn't work.

$ kquitapp plasma && plasma &
[1] 4204
$ <unknown program name>(4205)/: Application "plasma" could not be found
using service "org.kde.plasma" and path "/MainApplication" .

> but to answer your question...
>
> <Control><Alt><F1> # to get to a virtual console
> login as your normal user account
> mv .kde .kde-bak
> <Control><Alt<F7> # to get back to graphical login
> login as usual - any settings/mail/whatever you need will be in your
> $HOME/.kde-bak and you can copy/move back into the newly created
> $HOME/.kde directory

This worked very well.  I copied .kde-backup/share/apps to my new .kde
directory and I could log in without an error.   It didn't work if I
copied .kde-backup/share though.

I hope this helps someone.