requeueing mail (sendmail)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 10 20:52:38 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Does someone know of a nice tool to move things between mail queues such
> that special problems can be handled, such as longer than default retry
> for certain systems, run only at a certain time, run unlikely to work
> stuff occasionally only, from a special q, etc.
>
> I can do this with some perl scripting, but the locking needed to be
> reliable is ugly, I have to maintain it, and it will be just the minimum
> functionality I need to solve my current problem. If there's some spiffy
> solution I missed it would be a timesaver.

Sendmail can do it - you have to get into the more advanced
configuration. You don't need to put the mail in separate queues -
you can set different rules for different destinations. But you will
probably need a Sendmail guru to set it up for you.

You may be able to do the same with Postfix but I have never checked
on it.

Mikkel